Sunday 10 May 2015

Building Bridges: The 2015 Eurovision Song Contest Semi-Final 1



OK, so it's been a few years since I did one of these, but I'm all excited so here are my super quick reviews of this years 40 Eurovision entrants.

Forty? I know right. I'm breaking them down into the two semi-finals and the the direct-to-final qualifiers to make it a bit more bearable.

I'll give you a summary of the song and rate the song on the following criteria:

Genre of music
How much of this can I remember - I'm already skipping some

Better than last year's entry? - compared to the country in 2014

Current reviews
Qualifier?
Will I be listening to this in a year?
Anyone fanciable?
Arbitrary Eurovision style score: (i.e. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,10 or 12)

First up is Semi-Final 1, due to broadcast on Tuesday 19th May 2015 at 2100 CEST (2000 BST). Here there all are (with links to EuroVision.tv)




Moldova

01Moldova
Flag of MoldovaTRM
Eduard Romanyuta
I Want Your Love
This lumps along to each chorus, but there's nothing much about Moldova's Eduard to get you excited, and I suspect this will become a right screechfest on stage. Don't worry if you get home late and miss the first five minutes of the show eh? 

Genre: Pop (and wants to be Rock)

How much of this can I remember?: Chorus is irritatingly repetitive

Better than last year's entry?: Nope
Best lyric: "The picture that you’re paintin’ got me all anticipating"

Current reviews: "You want my love, but I want you to shut up" (Wiwibloggs)

Qualifier?: No

Will I be listening to this in a year?: No. I'm already skipping within seconds of the intro.

Anyone fanciable?: If you're a 13 year old girl, then maybe in some of his promo shots.

Arbitrary Eurovision style score: 2

 

Armenia

02Armenia
Flag of ArmeniaAMPTV
Genealogy
Face The Shadow
This has really grown on me. I love the story - 6 singers of Armenia heritage from America, Asia, Africa, Europe, Australasia & Armenia have come together to sing a song that blatantly asks its geographical neighbours to consider their official positions on the historical genocide. There's an awkward start with bad pronunciation, and some slight jarring of musical syles, but it's the package on the whole I like.

Genre: Pop-Opera-Ballad

How much of this can I remember?: I'm humming it all the time

Better than last year's entry?: I prefer it but, Aram MP3 was favourite to win so perhaps not quite as good.
Best lyric: "Time is ticking and you keep thinking that you are tricking your heart"
Current reviews: "Face the Shadow does improve and the retro-soft-rock chorus does appeal, but from 2:00, the song builds into a vomit-inducing frenzy of noise." (ESCTips.com)

Qualifier?: Yes, should benefit from ok song and large Armenia diaspora

Will I be listening to this in a year?: Yes

Anyone fanciable?: Vahe Tilbian (Ethiopian-Armenian) and Tamar Kaprelian (American-Armenian) are good examples of why you should mix those genes up.

 

Arbitrary Eurovision style score: 10

 

Belgium

03Belgium
Flag of BelgiumRTBF
Loïc Nottet
Rhythm Inside
This is a bit different. I thought Loic was a woman for quite a while, but it doesn't matter, he has a unique voice and the song is dark and quirky; it reminds you a bit of Lorde's Royals.You'll be rap-bap-bapping tonight too after a listen.

Genre: Electro-Pop-Rap

How much of this can I remember?: All, I'm t

Better than last year's entry?: So much it's hard to believe this is the same country. Loic could be Belgium's Anouk moment (Netherlands entry that revived their poor fortunes).
Best lyric: "On a cosmic track, love attack, I‘m gonna get that rhythm back"
Current reviews: The song is addictive and ... Loic is ahead of the times, which, unfortunately, may put some people off. Best Belgium entry of the 10s. (Wiwibloggs)
Qualifier?: Hope so, but nervous that the juries won't get, being as this is current music and their average age is... old.

Will I be listening to this in a year?: Yes, and probably getting his album.

Anyone fanciable?: I wouldn't say no...
 Arbitrary Eurovision style score: 12

 

The Netherlands

04The Netherlands
Flag of The NetherlandsAVROTROS
Trijntje Oosterhuis
Walk Along
Shame. They were doing so well with Anouk and then the magnificent Common Linnets. The near-unpronounceable Trijntje sings this likeable but unfortunately rather plain pop song that has a great hook. It actually will be better to not have heard it before and so might do well, but doesn't feel like a classic in the making.

Genre: Pop

How much of this can I remember?: "Way-ay-ay" will never leave you.

Better than last year's entry?: No.
Best lyric: "Why, why-aiaiai, why-aiaiai"  (obviously)

Current reviews: "Trijntje’s problem is that Walk Alone lacks sufficient build and variation in the arrangement to retain interest after the one-minute mark... the bridge ends at 2:15, so the song drifts along on a seemingly continuous loop for the remaining 45-seconds." (ESCtips.com)

Qualifier?: It will be close.

Will I be listening to this in a year?: Probably... and still uncertain as to whether I actually like it or not.

Anyone fanciable?: A bit of a MILF but don't get too excited.
Arbitrary Eurovision style score: 6

 

Finland

05Finland
Flag of FinlandYLE
Pertti Kurikan Nimipäivät
Aina Mun Pitää
Sigh. It's all about the "concept" this year. Conchita started a thing - which is lovely - but it has resulted in the first of our faux-shock entrants this year, the intellectually-disabled PKN with a very short punk song. I equally have little to say.

Genre: Punk

How much of this can I remember?: None.

Better than last year's entry?: Really not.

Current reviews: "The problem with “Aina mun pitää” is that there doesn’t seem to be any melody or hook to draw in viewers. Just one and a half minutes of pure punk noise, that’s all."
Qualifier?: No. Well... it does stand out so I wouldn't be surprised if it sails through.

Will I be listening to this in a year?: No

Anyone fanciable?: Pass.
Arbitrary Eurovision style score: 1

 

Greece

06Greece
Flag of GreeceNERIT
Maria Elena Kyriakou
One Last Breath

One Last Breath is... I'm largely indifferent. It might sound good live on stage with atmospheric staging but there's little special about it. It's timed 6th, allowing for a strategic toilet break.
 

Genre: Ballad

How much of this can I remember?: Very little

Better than last year's entry?: Nothing will top "Alcohol is Free".

Best lyric: "Just pain, fake love and drunken lie, Ι struggle to survive, I’m still alive" (maybe lay off the Ouzo love?)
Current reviews: "Where is the overrated dance-pop diva that you bring almost every year? This is a new low for Greece, it’s as if Portugal sent an entry completely in English." (Wiwibloggs)
Qualifier?: Unlikely.

Will I be listening to this in a year?: No

Anyone fanciable?: Maria is lovely, but not enough of a stunner for me to bother to upload a photo.

Arbitrary Eurovision style score:3

 

 

Estonia

07Estonia
Flag of EstoniaERR
Elina Born & Stig Rästa
Goodbye To Yesterday
This is cute. Elina and Stig are among the favourites to win. It's also the first of our duets this year, in a move that makes you wonder whether some Eurovision strategist sits and figures that... "well a duo haven't won in a few years". They sing a song of lovers whove fallen out, though their stage presence doesn't seem to convey this, so I'm not sure just how well it will do.

Genre: Guitar-ballad

How much of this can I remember?: Humming the tune.

Better than last year's entry?: Tanja's gravity-defying dance routine and flawless vocals that were cheated out of the final? C'mon, it's not THAT good, but it's a nice follow-up.

Best lyric: "I was frozen by the jingle of my keys at the door
as I got outside I smiled to the dog"
 

Current reviews: "I want to love this song, but it keeps letting me down." (Wiwibloggs)
Qualifier?: Should do, but not as certain as everyone thought.

Will I be listening to this in a year?: Yes

Anyone fanciable?: Depends on your taste but black and white is flattering.
 

Arbitrary Eurovision style score: 8

 

 

FYR Macedonia

08F.Y.R. Macedonia
Flag of F.Y.R. MacedoniaMKRTV
Daniel Kajmakoski
Autumn Leaves

This is a lovely ballad from the Balkans. Daniel was the first entrant to be declared back in 2014, losing the advantage of seeing what everyone was doing. He changed from Macedonian to English which makes the song flow better with no jarring translations. The song is cute and leans towards Ed Sheeran-lite. It's a grower, not always a good thing for a song in the middle of the show, but I'd love 2015 to see a resurgence of the old Yugoslav countries.


Genre: Guitar-ballad

How much of this can I remember?: The chorus has a good hook

Better than last year's entry?: He's not as fun as Tijana, but probably a more solid performer.

Best lyric:  "Hanging from our knees up in the willow trees easy like the month of June"

Current reviews:
"The song is a little slow to get started, but the chorus has an enjoyably massive feeling to it. But yet it’s still not a stand-out song – very middle table." (Wiwibloggs)
Qualifier?: It's close. Macedonia never does too well but this might be enough.

Will I be listening to this in a year?: Yes

Anyone fanciable?: As long as he doesn't let the moustache grow.
 

Arbitrary Eurovision style score: 6

 

Serbia

09Serbia
Flag of SerbiaRTS
Bojana Stamenov
Beauty Never Lies
Well this is a welcome change of pace. I think Bojana won Serbia's Got Talent or something and she is, politely put, a happier Michelle McManus type. The song starts as another ballad, but builds its lyrics of tolerance and inclusiveness to a "hands in the air dancing round the handbag" moment. It's glorious.

Genre: Powerballad-disco

How much of this can I remember?: When drunk I swear I know it all.

Better than last year's entry?: Serbia took a break last year - welcome back!

Best lyric: "Beauty never lies, no, it cries “Here I am!”"
Current reviews: "Bojana certainly looks like a formidable women and has the vocal power to match. " (ESCtips.com)
Qualifier?: Surely.

Will I be listening to this in a year?: Yes

Anyone fanciable?: I think Bojana's admirers will be rather niche.
 

Arbitrary Eurovision style score: 8

 

 

Hungary

10Hungary
Flag of HungaryMTV
Boggie
Wars For Nothing

Snooze. This song is a "message" song, but it just doesn't get off the ground. The accompanying video is mildly interesting, but I don't think the unfortunately named Boggie is headed to the final. 

Genre: Ballad

How much of this can I remember?: Minimal.

Better than last year's entry?: "Running" was an example of a message song (child abuse) that really worked, only making this seem worse in comparison.

Best lyric: "Just pain, fake love and drunken lie, Ι struggle to survive, I’m still alive" (maybe lay off the Ouzo love?)
Current reviews: "If there’s one reason end all wars, it would be to stop these fucking banal world peace songs being entered every few years." (ESCtips.com)
Qualifier?: No.

Will I be listening to this in a year?: No

Anyone fanciable?: Who cares?

Arbitrary Eurovision style score:1

 

Belarus

11Belarus
Flag of BelarusBTRC
Uzari&Maimuna
Time
This works for me. I love a musical instrument, and Maimuna gets to show off a real violin before Slovenia debut the air-violin in SF2. Uzari has an accent that does marvellous things to the lyrics and I think they'll look good on stage. Totalitarian government may not be good for normal Belarussians, but they have cracked creating good Eurovision songs year after year. 

Genre: Pop-Classical

How much of this can I remember?: I think I even know the violin bits.

Better than last year's entry?: I loved the bizarre Cheesecake but this entry is genuinely good!

Best lyric: "Time is like thunder a-a-a"
Current reviews: "It’s got a catchy hook, a hummable melody and distinctive vocals. One of Belarus’ better entries, and it’s frustrating to see this being tipped to not qualify."
Qualifier?: Yes. Should benefit from having a tempo above the resting heart rate of a corpse.

Will I be listening to this in a year?: Yes

Anyone fanciable?: I've got a crush on Uzari for sure.
 

Arbitrary Eurovision style score: 10

 

Russia

12Russia
Flag of RussiaC1R
Polina Gagarina
A Million Voices
The last few years have seen Russia's entry walk onto stage to face boos, presumably relating to their country's questionable international interactions and human rights record. A bit unfair (I doubt a humble Eurovision singer has much to do with it all) , but I'm not sure sending ever increasing messages of inclusion and peace in songs is going to convince anyone otherwise. Nevertheless, A Million Voices is quite catchy, and deserves to do better than it will.

Genre: Power-ballad

How much of this can I remember?: "A Mill-ion Voy-says!" with choreographed backing-singer finger clicks and sways.

Better than last year's entry?: She may not have a twin but I don't think she needs one to make this Shine.

Best lyric: "Praying for peace and healing, hoping we can start again". Ahem.
Current reviews: "If there’s one reason end all wars, it would be to stop these fucking banal world peace songs being entered every few years." (ESCtips.com)
Qualifier?: An absence of usual allies may see Russia relegated this year.

Will I be listening to this in a year?: Yes

Anyone fanciable?: There's a lot of blonde women with good voices out there.
 

Arbitrary Eurovision style score:7

 

Denmark

13Denmark
Flag of DenmarkDR
Anti Social Media
The Way You Are
I've struggled to write about this. It exists. I'm indifferent. I don't mind if it doesn't qualify, but won't miss it if they don't.

Genre: 60s style pop-rock

How much of this can I remember?: I switched off before it could infect me

Better than last year's entry?: Is this Denmark's thing now? Songs with vaguely irritating hooks that you don't really like but end up singing as if you do?

Best lyric: "Movie stars and caviar couldn't get me where you are"
Current reviews: "A simple, catchy piece of retro pop. When I first saw Anti-Social Media in a PR video, I didn’t think the lads had the visual appeal to attract the all-important female vote." (ESCtips.com)
Qualifier?: Yes

Will I be listening to this in a year?: No

Anyone fanciable?: Dubious. Think Ron Weasley before puberty hit.

Arbitrary Eurovision style score: 4

 

Albania

14Albania
Flag of AlbaniaRTSH
Elhaida Dani
I'm Alive
This sounds great in both Albanian and English, though she'll be singing in the latter. It says a lot about ESC 2015 when this is one of the more up-tempo songs. Elhaida featured on The Voice of Italy and tackles this well, right up until the breathy last note. Delightful.

Genre: Pop rock-Ballad

How much of this can I remember?: I can't recall the lyrics but feel like I know then whenever I hear the song.

Better than last year's entry?: Much better. Albania get a rough deal with few natural allies and I want this in part of my Balkan resurgence.

Best lyric: "This love can't stop screaming out your name so loud"
Current reviews: "Modern, catchy and radio-friendly, this song gives me Jessie J and Beyonce vibes." (Wiwibloggs)
Qualifier?: Yes, please?

Will I be listening to this in a year?: Yes

Anyone fanciable?: She's a fox
 

Arbitrary Eurovision style score: 8

 

 

Romania

15Romania
Flag of RomaniaTVR
Voltaj
De La Capat/ All Over Again
It's another message song. For the UK especially, it's interesting to see a song about the effects of EU migration on the families that end up dispersed. First time I saw this and the accompanying video, I actually cried. It's beautiful, and the Romanian lyrics flow much better than the English.

Genre: Rock Ballad

How much of this can I remember?: I've taken to the Lyric Video to churn out my best Romanian - I wanted to be able to sing along to this.

Better than last year's entry?: As much as I love Paula and Ovi, I really connect with this song.

Best lyric: "Tu ai fi motivul, tu ai fi motivul sa pot,  Sa pot s-o iau de la capat"
[You will be the reason, you will be the reason to start, To start all over again.] 

Current reviews: "While “De la capat” is a song with a message, it doesn’t feel like they’re trying to force it upon the audience." (Wiwibloggs)
Qualifier?: Yes, every ex-pat Romanian will see themselves in this.

Will I be listening to this in a year?: Yes

Anyone fanciable?: No. But that's not the point.
 

Arbitrary Eurovision style score: 12

 

 

Georgia

16Georgia
Flag of GeorgiaGPB
Nina Sublatti
Warrior
Finishing the first semi-final is Nina's Warrior (Malta's Amber also sings a song with the same title in SF2). It builds and will probably sage better than it sounds on an initial listen, but its rousing and energetic.

Genre: Pop-Rock

How much of this can I remember?: The chorus is pretty good

Better than last year's entry?: Last year's car-crash could be followed with 3 minutes silence and be an improvement.

Best lyric: "World's gonna get up and see"
Current reviews: "Innovation, thrills, drama, excitement – Georgia have them all in bucket-loads.." (Wiwibloggs)
Qualifier?: You sort of hope they do and Russia doesn't.

Will I be listening to this in a year?: Yes

Anyone fanciable?: She rocks the emo thing
 

Arbitrary Eurovision style score: 7


So my preferred ten qualifiers are: 
  • Albania
  • Armenia
  • Belarus
  • Belgium
  • Estonia
  • FYR Macedonia
  • Georgia
  • Romania
  • Russia
  • Serbia

Reviews from

No comments: