Sunday 13 July 2008

Japan

For those of you who don't know...

I'm off to Japan tomorrow with Lucy for 10 days. We plan to go to Tokyo and Kyoto, and maybe elsewhere but we haven't decided yet.
I've always been attracted to the weird tradition/technology mix that I think Japan is... I find the psyche of it fascinating. And this is the kind of trip I won't be able to really do for a few years, so its kind of my last big adventure for a while.

We booked it a while ago as an adventure and whilst I'm excited about it, I don't mind admitting that I'm also pretty nervous.

I've never left Europe before... and in Europe I've always known that I could come home if I had had enough... but that's not an option when I'm 12 hours and a lot of money away!

I can't even put my finger on why I'm so scared... the sensible part of me knows that I'll be pleased to have gone and when I come back I will have stories to tell. I guess I'm a natural born worrier, and I don't really feel in control of this trip.
There's so many variables and I think I won't feel comfortable until I've made some decisions about where we're staying and things are booked... even though I know I can rough it and I do fine (Ask Olly about the hostel in Montenegro... it doesn't get a lot worse than that!)

Anyway, I guess I'm writing this blog as a plea really. I tend to get pretty homesick. And so now my dad has lent me his Japan-ready 3G phone, I feel a bit more connected to the UK! (I've put some numbers on it but can't easily move my whole phone book).
I'd really love to get txt messages, emails and facebook posts from my friends throughout the trip... just a few lines will really help pick me up if I feel a bit worried or homesick. I'd really appreciate it so much.
if you do txt... please sign off with your name in case I havent moved your number to the temporary phone.

And thank you to all those who have dealt with my worrying over this past week... namely:
- Celia and Grace for their Facebook msgs
- Olly and Carphone Warehouse for letting me take his breaks to reassure me
- Elly for the great advice on what to see
- Uncle Henry for being unwittingly very reassuring
- Lucy herself for being really understanding
and most of all...
- to Mum and Dad, who are always there with the right words and actions to help me, whenever and whatever I need. Thank you.
X

Right... to learn some useful phrases!

Sayonara!

Seb

No comments: