Saturday 30 April 2011

The Europop

My favourite category, the out and out pop songs. There's some gems among the duds!

Ireland/Eire – "Lipstick" – Jedward


 They have landed. It’s Jedward. The song itself is not so bad, but anyone who saw the X-Factor knows what to expect when it comes to the live performance. You either love them (Ireland apparently) or hate them. It’s undeniably catchy “dum de dum da dadum”– I guess it depends how annoying they’ll come across on stage in Germany. This might be difficult given John's recent injury...

Croatia/Hrvatska – "Celebrate" - Daria

Daria remains somewhat dead in the eyes throughout the video, and the whole affair feels rather lacklustre, and definitely not worthy of “celebration”. This song does, however, contains the amazing rhyme of “moment” and “comet”.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/eurovision/songs/2011/croatia.shtml

Romania/România – "Change" – Hotel FM

This really wants to be a feel-good anthem but does end up feeling a bit like something from children’s TV, a bit in the S Club 7 vein. You probably will end up clapping along to it and it’s very likeable, but you know a song has got lost when it repeats the chorus a hundred times before the end.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/eurovision/songs/2011/romania.shtml

Spain/España – "Que me quiten lo bailao" - Lucia Perez


Wow. This is proper Spanish. In that it’s really cheap sounding (and the video looking) but frustratingly catchy. The title translates as “Nobody can take the good times away from me”, and she hammers that point home so much I think she’s probably in denial. Never mind, now you’ve heard it, you’ll be humming it over and over again. I can’t wait for the English language version “I’m over the moon”.

Poland/Polska – "Jestem" – Magdalena Tul

Magdalena sings “I am” and it’s a catchy (probably more so if you understand Polish) pop song that fills 3 minutes is a pleasant way, but is a bit like a Rachel Stevens album track and not spectacular.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/eurovision/songs/2011/poland.shtml

Norway – Haba Haba – Stella Mwangi


Haba haba is really likeable and danceable. Stella’s ‘fro is a delight, and I love her accent as she says “When as a little girl my gran’ma told me...”. Not quite sure how Norway ends up sending a calypso to Eurovision, but it’s a nice change and I look forward to playing this in the summer months!

Armenia/Հայաստան – "Boom Boom" – Emmy

This starts off quite feel good and you think it’s gonna be okay, even with that title, but then the chorus hits with its awful production, awful lyrics and the moment is lost. It never has a chance to pick up again before another “chaka chaka, laka laka” hits. Shame as she appears to be a good singer.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/eurovision/songs/2011/armenia.shtml

Russia/Россия – "Get You" – Alexej Vorobjov


“I’m running, I’m coming for you” says the slick-haired Alexej, which would probably send a fair few women running themselves. The back-beat is really irritating, but the song itself is pretty catchy and I can see my living room having a few people shout along with it during the Final, especially during the “whoa-oh” bits.

No comments: