Friday 6 May 2011

The rock

Turkey/Türkiye - "Live it up" - Yüksek Sadakat

This rock-inspired entry doesn’t make too much sense, but starts well, though it doesn’t really break the mould, and it’s never that comfortable watching middle-aged men try and rock out.
They're pretty big in Germany, Netherlands and Belgium though (I think they're a Turkish U2-a-like), so may well do well.

Moldova – "So Lucky" – Zdob si Zdob

A rock entry built around a cheeky recurring clarinet riff that is standout from the other entries (in a good way). 

FYR Macedonia/Македонија – "Rusinka" – Vlatko Ilievski
This cheeky little fella goes round and round 4 sets in the really quite good one-shot video for this song about a “Russian Girl”. His voice isn’t exactly honey to the ears, but I actually quite like it, and am looking for an excuse to go to Skopje and Ohrid, so maybe I should back this as my wildcard. Oh, and I LOVE that he is apparently Macedonia's "Jon Bon Jovi"!




No comments: