Friday 17 November 2006

The difficult second album

Well, now with that first post out of the way, I can rant on about proper stuff.

[I'm going to talk about vaginas in this section - so prepare yourself, or don't read it!]

On Monday I had a Gynaecology Clinic at Trafford General Hospital. Being a bloke is a bit of a disadvantage when it comes to vaginas. Women see me and automatically assume I must be a rapist or something, because no-one really wants to have me in clinic with them. And this is juts for the talking part, never mind the examination!
It's frustrating because I have my OSCE practical exam in 9 days, where I have to show how competent I am at certain skills. Trouble is that this exam is going to test a lot of skills that I've never had a chance to practice - because they involve vaginas.
There's a recruitment crisis in Obstetrics & Gynaecology. I can see why - I've spent the majority of this placement sat in a corridor - and that really isn't an exaggeration. Whereas my female colleagues can come and go as they please, I'm having to spend a lot more time hanging about to get just half the experience that they are. It's rubbish.
I guess it annoys me because it's sexist and insulting to me. I get that its embarrassing to be naked and exposed with strangers, but if you're willing to let a doctor and nurse see, what's the big deal with someone who could well be your doctor in a few years? I don't like the assumption made that because of my gender I must be there to get sexually excited - believe me, even if I was straight it would not be what I was thinking about. Bleeding endometria, diseased cerivices and vulval irritation don't really conjure up those kind of feelings.

No comments: