Sunday 19 November 2006

Queer TV

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds39562.html


Obviously I am revising hard (!) as I have come across this story. I check Digital Spy most days, as it has good news on Reality TV Shows (which I am ashamed but also proud of loving), and is well worth a look if you are interested in TV and media.


It's interesting that "gay" themed TV isn't thought to be going down that well in the UK. I'd love to believe the arguments that it's because LGBT issues are just so well covered by mainstream channels, but I can't help but feel that isn't true.


The BBC got a hard from Stonewall (http://www.stonewall.org.uk/media/tuned_out__gay_people_in_the_media/default.asp) for it's lack of depiction of LGBT people and characters, but I have to say I think it's one of the better channels.

I was waiting for the Strictly Come Dancing Results show last night, and caught the end of Casualty. There was a middle-aged female couple who had almost split up because one woman was worried about her partner's family rejecting them. The scene was totally natural and not a "lesbian" scene used to spice up an ailing drama. Last time I watched Casualty, a few weeks/months ago now, there was another female couple, younger and with different issues around emotional abuse.

Torchwood, my favourite programme of the moment is on BBC3 and repeated on BBC2. It hold the record for the largest non-terrestrial, non-sport audience figures, so is quite a big deal. All of the principal characters, within just 4 episodes, have been shown to be "omnisexual", as described by creator Russell T Davies. None are gay, straight, bisexual, but none of them are preoccupied with a label on their sexuality. They all show preferences but, no-one bats an eyelid at kissing someone of the same sex.


I think that Stonewall made a good point in saying that LGBT issues are often shied away from on TV, but I don't know that hitting the BBC was the best way to go about it - it really impresses me how the channels depict sexuality as no big deal. It's a part of the characters but it doesn't define them.


So back to the gay channel... I think it's great that there could be channel full of great LGBT role-models. If that's what it will be, but will it?

I can watch Will & Grace on LIVING TV all day, I'm not really arsed about a camp "Gay TV" style show, and do we need Pets win Prizes on repeat?! And of course, the gay-themed advertising to patronise me - I don't need hunky guys to persuade me to buy everything anyone wants to sell!

The point I'm making is that I want people who don't know about LGBT issues to be gently exposed to them via mainstream TV - what herterosexual bloke is going to flick to Queer Channel in an ad break?!

What I'd like to see is more production companies taking the lead of Casualty and Torchwood, and including a mix of sexualities into their characters without making an issue of it.


(Torchwood is at 10pm tonight on BBC3 - I should so be on commission!)

No comments: