Tuesday 27 March 2007

Psychiatry versus Sumo/Safari/Spanish

I'm currently undergoing an elective dilemma.

Next year, for my final year of medicine before I get a job (woo hoo), I have an 8-week "Elective" period to fill. The point of this period is to "experience a different healthcare system" - which for a lot of medics means getting a few grand of daddy, zooming to Australia to sit on a beach and then pop into Sydney General for a few hours. Which is quite fun thing to do... but it isn't really me. Plus the fact that my elective period is right before my finals.

I originally thought I'd just stay in England, probably Greater Manchester, and do something "useful" in a revision sense.

I've now been bitten by a bug that sees a new elective idea each day!

I would quite like to do Psychiatry for the block, because I love it. I could do the whole lot in Bolton as they have kind of already agreed, but I would like to go away really, at least for a bit, because it's a pretty unique opportunity. SO I could split the block in two and do two 4-week blocks.

And this is where the dilemma begins to set in.

I have always wanted to visit:
Iceland, Japan and "Africa" (whatever that means).

But the first two present a bit of a communication barrier, especially where I want to do a rather communication-heavy specialty. The thought of going to Japan makes me so excited, but I just don't know that I would honestly get much out of it in a educational way, and it might drive me mad that I don't understand anything! Ditto Iceland, and also, it's so near it doesn't seem "worthy" enough. Somewhere like Ghana or Kenya in Africa could be good - because English is the official language in a few countries so at least there is opportunity for translating from native languages.

Or I could go to Spain or South/Central America and use my not-too-bad Spanish? Argentina, Chile, Mexico?

But then I think of Japan again... and then Africa... and then Bolton.

It's really a battle of the specialty versus the location... I don't think I can go somewhere I've always wanted and do what I want to do!

And we've not even started talking about how I'm going to pay for any of this yet.

This is really hard isn't it?!

No comments: