Sunday 11 March 2007

Lend Us A Hand

I've been hibernating. (Well... kind of.)

Just over a week ago was LGBT Awareness Week in the Students' Union. It was, quite simply, brilliant. And it kept me so damned busy I haven't blogged in ages. And, because I think someone might be interested.

In the week beforehand we had a lot of fun painting the banner (I did the "D!" in Violet), and then getting to maul Rachel, Bev and Natalie who were wearing the white hoodies, which we then adorned with handprints. Ian, Stu and I had a great laugh running about the Union with paint-soaked hands. Thanks to everyone that came and helped - I won't namecheck you all again and risk me forgetting someone (with, I imagine, heinous consequences if I do), but I hope you all felt freaking proud seeing the banner up in front of the Union. Mina (Welfare Officer) commented that it looked like a professional banner, so well done guys!

The stall looked great, and I know Natalie and I had lots of fun running about campus in our hoodies and rainbow umbrellas. We certainly got noticed (as it was, (1) rather sunny and also (2) the wind kept blowing our cheap umbrellas out resulting in many comedy moments where we had to wrestle them back into shape).

Turnout at the evening events understandably dipped after the fiasco of Tuesday's film. After 3 DVD players, a change of room and nearly one hour's hanging around, we could not, in the end, watch Bev's (largely-in-German) film, Paragraph 175, as the UMSU does not appear to provide batteries for its remote controls, resulting in our inability to turn subtitles on. Oh dear. Thanks to Neil for inadvertantly turning off the projector and getting a cheer, and to Danny for trying to find some AAA batteries. I have now developed a pathological need to carry batteries with me wherever I go.
Those of you that came to Wednesday's Quiz seemed to enjoy it, and Jen and I definitely enjoyed ourselves, especially with our dance-montage, Supermarket Sweep pricing game, and our never ending questions (thanks to Siobahn and Rachel for providing some of the harder questions). Well done to everyone that came and I hope that you didn't puke on the Charlemagne/Champers, and that no-one was irreprably damaged by the 85p Tanning Wipes.

Friday's rainbow group hug was amazing. The aim of it was to get Manchester to see that there is still a campaign for LGBT equality, and it was also quite an important thing that LGBT people could be open and proud in public. I won't be wearing a rainbow cape every day, but it was important for people to see that LGBT students still have to fight for true equality.

About 40 of you came and joined us on the Union steps and we really got noticed. Well, maybe that and the creepy black silouettes behind us, each with a disturbing statistic on them.


In case you didn't get a chance to read all the stats, they are still be displayed in the Peer Support Centre, but I'll also put them here:

40% of youth do not feel safe in their school because they are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or questioning

90% of young Lesbian, Gay & Bisexual people have experienced verbal abuse because of their sexuality

70% of Lesbian, Gay & Bisexual people are too scared to report homophobic incidents to the police.

In 8 world countries, the punishment for male homosexual acts is death.

82% of secondary school teachers are aware of homophobic verbal bullying among students in their school.

and, in my view, the worst:
30% of young lesbian, gay and bisexual people have tried to commit suicide more than once.

I hope that some of the people who had to make their way past these figures, or read them whilst passing on the bus (or indeed, whilst on the bus with us...) were surprised or shocked. A lot of people think that there isn't a need to campaign for LGBT issues. I used to think that too, and then I realised I thought that because I was/am lucky. My family support me, I have lots of friends, I'm going into a profession that is working hard to stamp out homophobia, and the laws of my state allow me to be who I am.

I hope that LGBT Awareness Week made someone ask "What does LGBT mean?", or in some way helped up the recognition of our campaign. I think it did. Thanks for "Lending A Hand".


No comments: